Wednesday 2 May 2012

Modelling in Maya...

My role for the modelling process was to model the skeleton. I received the side front and top images from Ken to allow me to put them in the correct view planes in Maya. This made the process a lot easier, although there were a few corrections needed. As the image planes didn't line up exactly I had to improvise the skeleton using other reference images. Despite it being fairly anatomically correct, the cartoon style needed to come across so it was a very reduced version. As the skeleton was symmetrical I could mirror the geometry to line up exactly by typically modelling half of the body then mirroring across the center line. To reduce the poly count the eyes and other features were left to be textured instead of modelled. I also used the Soften Edges tool in Maya, to give the impression of a smoother geometry without needing the additional polys, to achieve the stylised look.







 Here is the final model turnaround within Maya:
This was a refreshing experience that went a lot smoother than anticipated. Many solutions such as mirroring the geometry, smooth edges, as well as general shortcuts and tools sped up the process. As I knew this was only part of my role in the project I was pleased that it went well as I could then focus on areas I was less confident about.

Here are some renders with ambient occlusion added:



These files were then sent to Ken to texture in Maya.


No comments:

Post a Comment